1000 Books Before Kindergarten encourages all families and caregivers to read 1000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten.
Studies have shown that families who start reading aloud to their children at birth help strengthen their language skills and build their vocabulary - two important tools when they begin learning to read in kindergarten.
How does 1000 Books Before Kindergarten work?
1. Register - Visit us at the Children's & Youth Department to pick up a reading log.
2. Track Your Reading - Each time you read a book with your child, write the title down in your reading log.
3. Show us - At each 100-books, come visit us for a sticker. When you reach 250, 500 and 750 books, you'll get an extra special sticker.
4. Read More Books! - When you reach 1000 books, we will have a graduation ceremony for your child & present them with a certificate.
Yes you can:
- Read the same book over and over...and over and over again!
- Read in any language
- Storytime counts, too!
3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books